A range of new parking restrictions introduced in late 2013 provoked a strong negative reaction from residents and since then MoFloCoCo has been co-ordinating a response on behalf of the community.
In a densely populated area like Mount Florida there will be no perfect solution that solves every problem. However MoFloCoCo will be involved with GCC Land & Environmental Services (LES) at all stages of the project and represent the local community so that the final result best meets the wishes of the whole community.
The purposes of the project are:
- improve pedestrian safety,
- optimise access to businesses for shoppers and deliveries,
- optimise available parking space for residents.
- Summer 2013 – Increased restrictions introduced after public notification. MoFloCoCo starts receiving complaints from residents
- Spring 2014 – MoFloCoCo holds public meeting and site meeting with ward councillors.
- Autumn 2014 – LES completed a review after the Commonwealth Games. The review included detailed data gathering, consulting with school Parent Partnership, collecting 32 Servicing Survey responses from businesses.
- Spring 2015 – changes agreed in principle except for Letherby Triangle. GCC prepared to implement when there is one plan agreed or all Mount Florida due to the cost and legal challenges inherent in a new Traffic Regulation Order.
- 2016 – concerns about pedestrian hazards around the school/ Letherby Drive and opportunities to improve the civic value of the Letherby Triangle green space are addressed through a wide-ranging consultation lead by MoFloCoCo and funded by GCC Community Planning Partnership
- February 2016 – MoFloCoCo reports on a preferred design option for Letherby Triangle identified through the consultation.
- Spring 2017 – school Parent Partnership works with ward councillors and LES implements improved traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing by the high flats, alleviating a pedestrian hazard.
- June 2017 – due to the continuing challenge to raise funds and recruit a community team to run the Letherby Triangle project, MoFloCoCo requests LES to proceed with the changes agreed for the areas not including Letherby Triangle
- September 2017 – report expected from LES.
What’s happening now?
The development planning for Letherby Triangle continues. For the other areas, we are discussing with LES the feasibility of implementing the proposed improvements independent of the Letherby Triangle considerations.
How you can get involved
If you would like to contribute to this work, please contact us.
Draft Traffic Regulation Order
We are pleased that many of our recommendations have been included in a draft traffic regulation order that was published for consultation by Glasgow City Council on Friday 12th July. GCC has also included its own proposals, mainly aimed at improving sightlines and pedestrian safety.”Read
Parking and Traffic Survey Report Published
A big THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the Parking and Traffic survey which was carried out from 20 - 25th April. We had a good number of responses offline (in Langside Library) and online. The report is now available here. It includes the next steps that were agreed in the MoFloCoCo meeting on Tuesday 28th April.”Read
Mount Florida Parking and Traffic Review 20-25th April, 2015
MoFloCoCo's public consultation of ideas to improve the parking and traffic situation will be open from Monday 20th until Saturday 25th April.”Read