In 2014 the Community Council was awarded £2400 of Glasgow City Council funding from the Langside Area Partnership to kick off the project.
GrowMoFlo is an environmental project aimed at building on the wonderful community spirit of Mount Florida, to make ours a cleaner, greener and even better place to live.
In partnership with Urban Roots, CARCAP, Mount Florida Primary School and Glasgow City Council, we held a launch event in September 2014. The event was an opportunity for folk to discuss ideas, concerns and aspirations in relation to the environment of Mount Florida. The event was attended by 50 people and resulted in two environmental priorities:
1. Letherby Triangle Re-modelling
A re-modelling of the Letherby triangle and surrounding road infrastructure is proposed for the following reasons:
- To help improve the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.
- To help improve the safety of children and adults accessing Mount Florida Primary School.
- To provide a multi-functional civic space for Mount Florida. A place for meeting, markets, celebratory events, growing and leisure.
- To foster community spirit and enhance the physical identity of Mount Florida.
We will be undertaking an extensive public consultation over the next few months.
2. Back Court Landscape improvements
Landscape improvements to the back court located between McLennan Street, Clincart Road, Florida Street and Florida Drive. A consultation event was held in March 2015 and resulted in the following wish list for the back quad:
- A place to play
- Growing fruit and vegetables
- Growing flowers and climbers
- A place to relax (benches, deck chairs)
- A place to socialise (trellis, gazebo, barbeque)
- A bright clean garden (currently overgrown and a dumping ground)
- Regular refuse clean up
- Feed the birds
- A treehouse/gang hut to play
- A well-kept lawn
A couple of other environmental projects are already under way:
Stanmore Social Community Garden located between Stanmore Road and Cumming Drive, which was launched on the 8th August 2014, and is a partnership project between Stanmore Social, Cathcart & District Housing Association and Urban Roots. for updates on this project, follow the Stanmore Social Facebook page.
Adoption of Mount Florida Train Station – Scot Rail have agreed to allow MoFloCoCo to beautify the station by installing raised flower beds and hanging baskets.
MoFloCoCo is delighted to publish the consultation report for the redevelopment of Letherby Triangle. This is the outcome of the process of consultation involving hundreds of local people, carried out earlier this year on our behalf by the consultancy erz.”Read
This Saturday is the Letherby Picnic, 11-3pm at the Letherby Triangle (at the junction of Cathcart Road and Carmunnock Road).”Read